If you are looking for a meat dish that is easy and quick to prepare, I recommend Sicilian Veal Involtini.
Sicilian Veal Involtini is a second-course dish of Sicilian tradition that you can’t give up. A very simple dish with a sensational taste and softness.
A delicate flavor and a consistency that will melt in your mouth.
Tender veal slices, stuffed with a mouth-watering filling made with dry breadcrumbs, pine nuts, raisins, caciocavallo cheese, and parsley.
Threaded onto wooden skewers with bay leaves and red onions petals.
Then brushed with extra virgin olive oil, encrusted with breadcrumbs and baked in the oven or grilled on the grill.
Sicilian Veal Involtini, is a very popular dish in Sicily, as Pasta alla Norma or Cannoli. In fact, these dishes are often present on the tables of family Sunday lunches.
This is the original Palermo recipe for Veal Involtini. In Sicily, every family, each city has its own variant of filling by adding or replacing some ingredients.
In Catania, they add spicy salami in the filling.
While in Messina they make the filling seasoning breadcrumbs with caciocavallo cheese, pecorino cheese, garlic, and parsley and of course Extra virgin olive oil.
Veal Involtini are so delightful that Sicilians also prepare them with chicken or even swordfish.
So what are you waiting for? Wear the apron and prepare the rolls. Delight your family or your friends with true Sicilian flavors!
- 16 Veal Cutlets ( about 50 gr. each slice )
- 250 gr. Dry Breadcrumbs
- 80 gr. Grated Caciocavallo or Provolone Cheese
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 White Onion
- 24 Bay Leaves
- 40 gr. Raisin
- 40 gr. Pine Nuts
- 6 Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Parsley
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Soak the wood skewers for at least 10 minutes to avoid them burning during cooking, then dry them with kitchen paper.
Prepare the filling
- Soak the raisin in warm water for 5 minutes.
- Finely dice the white onion and fry it in a pan over low heat until is golden-brown and soft.
- Then add the breadcrumbs in the pan. Stir well.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and let cool down.
- Meanwhile, drain the raisin, squeeze with your hands and chop it.
- Finely chop cherry tomatoes and parsley.
- Add into the breadcrumbs mixture grated cheese, pine nuts, raisin, cherry tomatoes, and chopped parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well all the ingredients and add some Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- The mixture should be moist.
Prepare the meat
- Lay each slice of veal on a chopping board and with a meat mallet pound them until 4-5 mm. thick. Be careful not to tear the meat.
- Spread a spoonful of filling on each veal slice.
- Fold the edges of each slice and roll it. ( see video )
- Set aside.
Assemble the Involtini
- Cut the red onion into quarters and separate the petals.
- Wash and dry well the bay leaves.
- Thread one bay leaf onto a skewer, then one onion petal and one Involtino. Again one bay leaf, one onion petal, and one Involtino. Ending with one onion petal and one bay leaf.
- Repeat this step for all the skewers.
- Brush all the Involtini with extra virgin olive oil and dip them into breadcrumbs.
- Place the Involtini into a baking dish, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes. The breadcrumbs surface should be golden-brown.
- Serve hot.