Tiramisu’ with pasteurized eggs
How to make the most famous of Italian desserts: “Tiramisu”, using pasteurized eggs to enjoy it safely.
Tiramisu with pasteurized eggs is a variation of the classic Tiramisu recipe, ideal for those who cannot or do not want to eat raw eggs, especially children, elderly people, pregnant women and those with a weakened immune system.
Tiramisu is a must in Italian cuisine, perhaps the best known and eaten dessert in the world.
Why do you have to give up an explosion of flavors if you don’t eat raw eggs?
In this post, I will explain how to make this delicious Italian tiramisu with a detailed guide on how to pasteurize eggs at home.
Pasteurizing raw eggs instead to use them raw is a fundamental practice for your safety. With pasteurization, we eliminate most of any pathogenic bacteria avoiding – for example – the risk of salmonella.
Pasteurizing the eggs at home is a simple process, just prepare a syrup with water and sugar and bring it to a temperature of 121 degrees.
Then pour the syrup into the eggs (the high temperature kills the bacteria) and carry on to beat.
I always recommend pasteurizing the eggs for all the recipes that contain raw egg. In this case for the Italian recipe of tiramisu
Here is the tiramisu recipe with pasteurized eggs
Tiramisu' with pasteurized eggs
- 5 Eggs yolk Room temperature
- 500 gr. Mascarpone
- 200 gr. Sugar
- 300 gr. Double Cream
- 300 gr. Savoiardi biscuit (Ladyfingers )
- 300 gr. Espresso Coffee
- 80 gr. Marsala wine or Dark Rum
- 35 gr. Water
- 40 gr. Icing Sugar
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Make the coffee, pour it into a bowl, add Marsala wine or dark Rum, mix and set aside to cool.
- To start the preparation of the tiramisu’ with pasteurized eggs, place the eggs yolks with 100 gr. of sugar into a stand mixer bowl, whisk them at medium speed.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, put the remaining 100 g of sugar with water and bring to a boil, until the syrup reaches 121 ° C ( Use a kitchen or a candy thermometer)
- Increase the stand mixer to maximum speed and add very slowly the syrup onto the mixture while it is whipping. ( The high temperature pasteurize the eggs )
- Continue to whip for about 8-10 minutes, until the mixture swells and becomes pale.
- Then reduce the speed at medium and add the mascarpone, whip for another 6 -8 minutes until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the mascarpone cream in a large bowl and put it in the fridge to set.
- Pour the double cream into the stand mixer bowl add the icing sugar and start to whisk at medium speed, until it becomes very firm
- Gently fold the whipped cream to the mascarpone cream with movements from bottom to top, until obtaining a homogeneous cream without lumps.
- Now we can assemble the tiramisu.
- Pour a thin layer of mascarpone cream into an 8-inch square glass baking dish or small individual bowls
- Top with a layer of Savoiardi quickly soaked ( 1 second ) in the espresso coffee. If necessary, break a few Savoiardi to fit them in the dish
- Repeat with a layer of cream and then a layer of Savoiardi, finally spread the rest of the cream.
- Refrigerate for at least 8 hours, better overnight
- Before serving dust with unsweetened Cocoa Powder