The classic Italian “Bruschetta”
How to prepare “Bruschetta” with tomatoes and basil. The classic Italian appetizer.
The classic Italian Bruschetta is typical Italian goodness, prepared with slices of toasted home-made bread.
Today the Bruschetta has become the queen of summer appetizers and cocktail parties.
It is easy to prepare it, just follow the recipe with the same care that tradition requires to use only high-quality ingredients.
What are the ingredients for making bruschetta?
Stale bread, excellent fresh and ripe tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil leaves, oregano, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and ground pepper.
Bread: To make an excellent bruschetta according to the Italian tradition, we need good bread.
Avoid using white bread or gigantic slices of bruschetta bread packaged.
Stale homemade bread is the best, but if you can not find it, a good alternative can be a french baguette.
Tomatoes: Bruschetta is a summer appetizer. Summer the season of tomatoes, so it is essential to use fresh and ripe tomatoes.
Basil: it must be fresh with beautiful green leaves.
How to make classic Italian bruschetta:
First, we must peel the tomatoes (find here how to peel tomatoes ), having pieces of tomato peel in the mouth for some people is not pleasant.
Dice the tomatoes into small cubes and place them into a bowl. Add chopped fresh basil leaves, season with salt, pepper, oregano, and extra virgin olive oil.
Cut the bread into slices about 2cm thick, then toast the slices in the oven or on a grill. Rub every slice of bread with garlic. Then top with the diced tomatoes and serve.
Give vent to your imagination try other variations. For example adding to the tomatoes some cubes of mozzarella or Parma ham, grilled vegetables or even smoked salmon with Philadelphia cheese and chives.
Impress your guests with Italian tomato Bruschetta. Simplicity and goodness in a single appetizer.
Classic Italian Bruschetta
- 8 Slices Homemade Bread or French Baguette
- 4-5 Ripe Tomatoes
- 10 Leaves Fresh Basil
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Wash the tomatoes and peel them ( see how to to it )
- Cut the tomatoes into four quarters and remove the seeds.
- Chop into small cubes and pour them into a large bowl.
- Chop the fresh basil leaves and add them into the bowl.
- Season the mixture with oregano, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and fresh ground black pepper.
- Slice the bread about 1 cm thick and grill them in a griddle pan or toast in the oven.
- Rub every slice of bread with garlic.
- Top the slices of bread with the tomatoes mixture
- Serve hot.