Penne all’ Arrabbiata
Tasty, spicy, full of colors: “Penne all ‘Arrabbiata” which in English means “Angry Penne”, its name derives from its spicy and fiery taste.
A simple spicy Italian Pasta dish, one of the most representative and well-known dishes of Roman cuisine.
Together with Spaghetti alla Carbonara, Bucatini alla Amatriciana and other typical recipes, they are the true essence of the Roman gastronomy, the most authentic, the most genuine.
It is a simple recipe with a pleasantly spicy taste, ready in less than half an hour? perfect for those who love cooking with simplicity following the Italian tradition.
Penne all’ Arrabbiata, a pasta dish suitable for every season and occasion: from a quick family lunch or a pleasant dinner with a group of friends.
Arrabbiata sauce is just a classic tomato sauce with the addition of spicy chili and parsley.
The pasta commonly used for Arrabbiata sauce is Penne, but you can use any kind of short ridged tube pasta, the ridges help to hold the sauce.
If you don’t have a fresh chili you can substitute it with dried chili pepper flakes and the spiciness depends on how you prefer it, milder or hotter.
Serve the Penne all’ Arrabbiata with freshly grated Pecorino cheese (skip it for a vegetarian version) and chopped parsley.
Prepare a good bottle of red Italian wine or a cool Italian beer to help deal with the heat!
Penne all' Arrabbiata ( Angry Pasta )
- 380 gr. Ridged Penne pasta
Or any kind of short ridged tube pasta
- 400 gr. Canned peeled tomatoes
- 1 clove Chopped Garlic
- 5 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 - 2 Chopped Hot chili pepper
- 4 Tbsp Fresh chopped Parsley
- Pour canned peeled tomatoes in a bowl and blend them with a blender.
- In a large pan heat the extra virgin olive oil and lightly brown the garlic and chili pepper.
- Add the tomato sauce, season with salt and cook for about 15- 20 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne in boiling salted water, when it is cooked al dente, drain and add it directly to the pan with the sauce.
- Stir and toss the pasta into the sauce for a few minutes.
- Then add fresh chopped Parsley.
- Stir well and serve.