Pasta e Fagioli Soup
Pasta e Fagioli is the classic Italian “grandma’s soup”. Here’s how to do it in the traditional way: ingredients, recipe and tips.
Dense, creamy, tasty … who can resist a good Pasta e Fagioli soup? Pasta and beans is a first course typical of Italian cuisine, a classic recipe based on simple and genuine ingredients, a poor dish that warms and nourishes during the cold winter days.
I remember when my grandmother used to say: “Today we will eat Pasta e Fagioli” it was a feast. She used to cook it on a wood-burning fire in an earthenware pot, and the scent spread throughout the house.
Pasta e Fagioli soup, it is a dish that varies from region to region, from family to family, most commonly made using dried Borlotti or Cannellini beans and small size of pasta such as ditalini.
The combinations are endless, we can add Pancetta, Parma ham or even mussels, which we find in some recipes typical of the South.
But it’s perfect even without additional ingredients!
How to cook it:
Cooking Pasta and beans is easy, but I must say that the preparation time is long, in fact, we must soak the beans overnight in cold water, then rinse and boil them for about an hour and a half with a bay leaf and a clove of garlic.
Unfortunately, modern life does not allow us to devote much time for cooking, making some dishes disappear from our tables.
The pressure cooker has already given a good hand in the kitchen in reducing cooking times but maybe someone does not like to use it.
And it is at this point that precooked canned beans make their appearance.
If you have any doubt about their goodness, I assure you they are great and will allow you to prepare a good pasta and beans soup in less than 30 minutes!
The recipe I propose today is simple and also suitable for those who follow a vegetarian diet.
Pasta e Fagioli ( Pasta and Beans ) soup
- 300 gr. dried Borlotti or Cannellini beans
- 300 gr. Small size pasta ( e.g. Ditalini )
- 1 Celery Ribs
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Small Onion
- 4 Canned Peeled Tomatoes crushed
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 5 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Rinse the beans, then put them in a bowl, cover with water and let them soak overnight.
- The next morning, rinse again, put the beans in a pot and cover them with water. Add bay leaf and the whole clove of garlic, then boil for about an hour and a half at low- medium heat
- Meanwhile, clean and cut the celery, carrot, and onion into small pieces. Put them in a pot with 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and brown over very low heat.
- Add the crushed peeled tomatoes, season with salt and cook for about 15 minutes, adding a few tablespoons of water if it becomes too thick.
- At this point add the beans, taking them with a skimmer.
- Add a ladle of their cooking water and continue to cook for about twenty minutes with the sauce, gradually adding a little cooking water.
- At the end take two ladles of beans, put them in a container and blend with a mixer.
- Add in the pot more beans cooking water, adjust salt and when it boils pour the pasta.
- However, be careful with liquids, because Pasta e Fagioli must be thick rather than watery, add cooking water gradually if you think it is needed.
- When the pasta is cooked, turn off the heat and add the mixture of beans that you have previously blended.
- Stir and let to rest for 5 minutes.