Italian Pumpkin Soup recipe
The Italian recipe for velvety pumpkin soup.
Italian pumpkin soup recipe is not just a soup recipe, it is an easy recipe to prepare that will give you a dish to warm you up in the cold winter evenings.
Thick, creamy, sweet and rich in flavors. Simple, versatile and also light. A unique delight!
The pumpkin cream steals the scene from princesses and becomes the undisputed queen of autumn. In this fairy tale, in fact, the vegetable is not transformed into a carriage, but into an elegant, velvety, tasty and creamy soup.
The color of its fleshy pulp is reminiscent of the leaves that, in this period, come off gently from the trees and fall lightly on the ground. While the consistency and flavor wrap us like the warmest of blankets.
Pumpkin, as we know, is a low-calorie vegetable, In fact, 100 grams of pumpkin has only 18 calories. Rich in antioxidant substances and beta-carotene, and vitamin A.
There are also mineral salts and beneficial enzymes. So ideal and healthy for everyone.
Even for people who follow a vegetarian or vegan diet.
How is pumpkin used in Italian cuisine?
Pumpkin is used in many recipes that are part of the Italian culinary tradition. For example, to make filling for fresh pasta like Ravioli or Tortelli, to make the traditional Pumpkin Risotto, or its tasty variant the “Pumpkin Risotto with Pancetta and Parmesan“, to make delicate side dishes like pumpkin stew or even delicious cakes.
Like every traditional recipe, there are many versions. Which include the addition of more or fewer ingredients, from spices to vegetables. Today I give you the classic Italian pumpkin soup recipe. That thanks to the fragrant aromas, it has become the perfect pumpkin cream for me and my clients!
I enhanced all the flavors, adding only some spices and turning it into a delicious cream. Pumpkin cream is ideal to serve alone as a soup or as a condiment to enrich many other dishes such as Pasta with pumpkin cream. You can also create original variations for your Halloween menu!
Let’s see how to prepare this easy Italian Pumpkin recipe.
It is a fast and easy preparation, which does not involve any difficulty!
The ingredients: Pumpkin cut into cubes, onion, potatoes, vegetable broth, parmesan cheese, cinnamon powder, nutmeg, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Stew the pumpkin in a pot with the onion, a small percentage of potatoes to give more creaminess and vegetable broth.
When the pumpkin and potatoes are soft, turn off the heat and add the cinnamon and nutmeg.
Blend everything to get a dense and velvety texture.
Now you know the Italian recipe that according to my customers is the best of all the Pumpkin soup recipes.
If you would like to try another classic Italian soup that warms you up on cold winter evenings, try the “Pasta e Fagioli soup” ( Pasta and Beans )
For more details on how to make Italian pumpkin soup, watch the video below the recipe.
Italian Pumpkin soup
- 1 kg Pumpkin
- 200 gr. Potatoes
- 1 litre Vegetable Broth
- 80 gr. White Onion
- 60 gr. Grated Parmesan cheese
- 100 gr. White bread
- 1 pinch Cinnamon powder
- 1 pinch Ground Black Pepper
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
To prepare the Italian pumpkin soup.
- Start by preparing the vegetable broth. Then move on to cleaning the pumpkin.
- Cut it into slices and remove both the outer skin and the seeds.
- At this point you will have to get about 600 gr. of pulp, then cut it into cubes.
- Peel the potatoes and also cut them into cubes but smaller than the pumpkin.
- Peel and finely chop the onion, then transfer it to a pan with 4 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and let it brown on low heat.
- Once the onion has changed color, add the pumpkin and potatoes.
- Also, add a part of the broth to cover all the vegetables, the rest will be added later.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on a low heat for 25-30 minutes, adding more broth if necessary from time to time.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, turn off the heat and blend everything with a hand mixer until you get a smooth and homogeneous cream.
- Then add 50 gr. of Parmesan cheese, the cinnamon, nutmeg, and blend together.
- Your pumpkin cream is now ready!
To prepare tasty accompanying parmesan croutons.
- Cut the bread into not too small cubes and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, mix and cook for about 5 minutes in a preheated oven at 200° C. in grill mode.
- Then take them out from the oven.
- Serve the Italian pumpkin soup in a bowl adding the golden parmesan croutons on the surface.