A simple and timeless appetizer to amaze your guests, made with prawns, lettuce leaves and cocktail sauce.
Prawn Cocktail is a classic 1970s dish that has stood the test of time.
In Italy nowadays it is still one of the appetizers that together with Shrimp Crostini with creamy Zucchini never missing on our tables for Christmas or New Year party and also for a dinner with important guests.
A simple recipe, ready in less than twenty minutes with a sophisticated taste and scenographic presentation.
Juicy prawns tossed with Cocktail Sauce on a bed of shredded lettuce served in a glass.
To make a good prawn cocktail, you can also use shrimp but the quality of the ingredients is essential.
Fresh or frozen shrimp?
There are many cheap, frozen prawns available in the supermarket freezer, avoid them! Once defrosted they often tend to be watery and tasteless.
I recommend using fresh Prawns, even if you have to get your hands dirty to peel and clean them.
- 20 Fresh Prawns
- 60 gr. Lettuce Iceberg
For the Sauce
- 200 gr. Mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Mustard Mild
- 1 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Cognac or Brandy
- To prepare the prawn cocktail, let's start to clean the prawns.
- Remove the heads and peel the shells.
- Using a sharp knife make a cut along the back of the prawn and remove the black vein.
- Wash the prawns under running water.
- Cook them for no more than one minute in boiling water.
- Prepare the cocktail sauce.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well to obtain a nice pink sauce.
- Cut the lettuce into stripes.
- Now you have everything ready.
- In four cocktail glass or another container if you prefer, place the lettuce stripes and dress with 3 - 4 Tbsp of pink sauce.
- Add five prawns on each glass
- Cover them with pink sauce
- Decorate with slices of lemon and cherry tomatoes halved