Gnocchi alla Sorrentina
The authentic Neapolitan recipe.
If you are a lover of authentic Italian food, you cannot avoid trying the original recipe of Gnocchi alla Sorrentina.
The Gnocchi alla Sorrentina (Sorrento style) are an irresistible first course of the Neapolitan gastronomic tradition. More precisely from the city of Sorrento, already famous for the cultivation of the precious lemons used to make Limoncello.
But this is a different story!
An easy recipe made with homemade potato gnocchi, classic tomato sauce, mozzarella, basil and parmesan cheese.
A few simple ingredients with all the Mediterranean flavors stirred in a saucepan. Then transferred to an earthenware baking dish, (a ceramic or pyrex baking dish is fine) where the Gnocchi are baked for a few minutes in the oven, creating a crispy and cheesy crust typical of this dish with a unique delicacy.
The tomato sauce, dense but delicate made with garlic, extra virgin olive oil, and fresh basil. A very fragrant sauce that wraps gnocchi, rigorously homemade. Well-drained mozzarella together with a generous handful of grated Parmesan makes the rest.
But let’s see what we need to prepare the original recipe of Gnocchi alla Sorrentina.
Online you can find so many recipes of Gnocchi alla Sorrentina, but how many of these recipes are authentic Italian?
I recommend avoiding recipes that require packaged Gnocchi, and recipes with sauces full of aromatic herbs and spices.
To prepare the Gnocchi alla Sorrentina according to the original Neapolitan recipe, we need high-quality ingredients.
First, the most important one: homemade potato gnocchi.
To make tomato sauce: if it is possible, use fresh ripe tomatoes. If not, use a good Italian brand of canned peeled tomatoes.
Mozzarella: use a high-quality Italian mozzarella that you will have to cut into cubes and let it drain in a colander. It is important to drain the mozzarella otherwise liquefy the gnocchi!
The basil must be fresh. Avoid using dry basil.
This recipe is perfect as a family Sunday dish, but also for special dinners with friends or guests.
Follow the Gnocchi alla Sorrentina recipe below and all my advice step by step and you will bring to the table a delicious dish worthy of the best Neapolitan restaurants. Everyone will congratulate you, and everyone will ask you for the recipe!
Gnocchi alla Sorrentina
- 800 gr. Homemade potato gnocchi
- 600 gr. Canned peeled tomatoes
- 2 Italian mozzarella 125 gr. each
- 80 gr. gr. Grated Parmesan cheese
- 15 Fresh Basil leaves
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Dice the mozzarella which will be used to dress the gnocchi and drain them well in a colander ( if they are not well dried, the gnocchi will become too watery).
- In the meantime, blend the peeled tomatoes with a hand blender.
- Place extra virgin olive oil and the garlic in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Fry the garlic until it becomes golden, then remove it.
- Add the tomato puree, 4-5 basil leaves and season with salt.
- Bring the sauce to boil then lower the heat and continue cooking for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, boil the homemade potato gnocchi in a large saucepan with salted boiling water and drain them with a skimmer when they come to the surface.
- Add them to the pan with the tomato sauce, add the rest of basil leaves, and stir gently.
- Transfer everything into a baking dish, add the diced mozzarella and sprinkle with grated Parmesan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at the 250 °C grill mode and for 5-8 minutes.
- Take out the baking dish from the oven.
- Serve the Gnocchi alla Sorrentina immediately.