Eggplants parmigiana is a typical recipe, full of Mediterranean flavors (and calories) and is a part of the traditional gastronomic of southern Italy.
A dish similar to lasagna but with slices of fried eggplant taking the place of pasta.
Layers of fried eggplants, baked in the oven with a classic tomato sauce, mozzarella, fresh basil, and grated parmesan cheese.
The intense flavor of basil and a golden and slightly crunchy cheesy surface will make you fall in love at the first bite!
Perfect as a hot or cold appetizer, a side dish, a vegetarian main course or to fill delicious sandwiches.
To make the Eggplants parmigiana recipe is easier than you can think, but it takes some time to do it.
There are some basic steps to follow:
How to prepare eggplants:
Peel the eggplants but leave some skin on.
Cut the eggplants into slices about 1 cm in length
Lightly sprinkle both sides of the slices with salt.
Let them rest to release the bitter moisture for 2 hours.
Thoroughly rinse under running water then dry them well with a clean cloth.
The temperature of the frying oil must be about 175 degrees to avoid that the slices absorb too much oil and then place them on kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
An essential step to having an excellent result is to let your parmigiana rest and at room temperature for about an hour, otherwise, you are not able to cut the slices perfectly.
Trust me, the result will reward you for your waiting.
- 1, 5 kg Globe Eggplants
- 1,2 kg Canned Peeled Tomatoes
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Bunch Fresh Basil
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 500 gr. Mozzarella Diced or Shredded
- 200 gr. Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Sunflower Oil For Frying
- To prepare the eggplant parmigiana, start to make tomato sauce:
- In a pan, over medium heat extra virgin olive oil and add the chopped garlic and onion
- Fry for few minutes, then add peeled tomatoes ,season with salt and simmer for about 20 - 25 minutes until the sauce will thicken.
- Add the basil leaves, stir, turn off the heat and, blend with a blender.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry the eggplants, cut off the green part.
- Peel them leaving some skin on.
- With a mandoline slicer or a knife cut the eggplant into slices about 1cm in length
- Arrange the slices in a sieve and sprinkle each layer with a little salt.
- Leave to rest the eggplant for at least 2 hours, so that they can expel a good part of the bitter moisture.
- Thoroughly rinse the slices under running water and dry well with a clean cloth.
- In a large pan pour plenty sunflower oil, then fry the slices, a few at a time so as not to lower the oil temperature which should not be lower than 175 degrees.
- Turn and fry them on both sides then drain on a paper towel.
- All the ingredients are ready, we can assemble our eggplant parmigiana
- Sprinkle the bottom of the baking dish with a little sauce.
- Lay slices of eggplant slices.
- Add a layer of tomato sauce and, fresh basil.
- Then sprinkle all over with parmesan cheese and diced mozzarella.
- Continue making layers until all ingredients are used, ending with the eggplants.
- Cover with the remaining tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese and, mozzarella.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 ° for 30 minutes (if ventilated at 180 ° for 25 minutes).
- Until the surface is golden brown.
- Once cooked, let the eggplants parmigiana rest for about an hour and serve.