Classic tomato sauce
The simple and classic Italian way to make tomato sauce.
Classic tomato sauce recipe: today I want to share with you a recipe that I prepare almost every day in my restaurant kitchen.
Tomato sauce is probably one of the most common and characteristic pasta sauces for Italian cuisine: anyone can prepare it, everyone has their own secret.
After all, pasta with tomato sauce is almost synonymous with Italian cuisine, and it is a tasty dish, quick to prepare, and also quite healthy.
But how to make it?
To make a classic Italian tomato sauce, first of all, we need good tomatoes.
Fresh, well ripe and juicy tomatoes are ideal, perfect when they are in season!
When we use fresh tomatoes the first thing to do is peel them, then cook them with a clove of garlic and fresh basil, to get a thick creamy sauce completely homemade.
Unfortunately, we do not always find good tomatoes unless we grow them in our garden.
Know that the tomato to give the maximum of its goodness needs sun and heat, otherwise it will not be sweet.
Those on sale by greengrocers and supermarkets are certainly imported from who knows where collected unripe and matured in cold rooms.
So how to do it?
Based on my experience, to make a good tomato sauce, I advise, to use a good brand of canned whole peeled tomatoes (forget the tomato sauce already made), preferably imported from Italy.
Let’s see how I make the classic Italian tomato sauce.
Note: The recipe that I share with you today is for 2 people, so if you are more, just increase the ingredients.
Classic Tomato Sauce
- 400 gr. Canned peeled Tomatoes
- 1 Small Onion chopped
- 1 clove Garlic
- 4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 10 Fresh Basil leaves
- 1 tsp Sugar to decrease the acidity of tomatoes
- Place a saucepan on the stove add extra virgin olive oil and the whole garlic.
- Fry the garlic over medium heat until it is golden brown.
- Then discard the garlic and add the chopped onion into the pan.
- Let cook for about 5 minutes until golden
- Then add the peeled tomatoes into the saucepan
- Stir, and add the sugar.
- Lover the heat to low.
- cook for about 15 - 20 minutes stirring occasionally to avoid the sauce sticking to the bottom of the pan
- Season with salt according to your taste.
- When the sauce is cooked turn off the heat, add the basil.
- Blend with a hand blender until you get a smooth sauce