The classic Italian recipe of chicken cacciatore
Are you bored to cook always the same roast chicken? Would you like to cook a chicken in a simple and tasty way for your family? Try the chicken cacciatore recipe!
Chicken cacciatore is a rustic and delicious dish of Italian gastronomy. That will delight your palate with its rustic and genuine flavors.
A perfect recipe for a family dinner and for all the times you want to prove that you can also cook a tasty chicken in a different, simple, and creative way.
The recipe I show you here is the original Tuscan recipe of chicken cacciatore.
Chicken pieces browned in a skillet with sauteed vegetables (onion, celery, and carrots).
Flavored with garlic, bay leaves, and rosemary. Slow-cooked in red wine and blended peeled tomatoes.
Accompany Chichen Cacciatore with a side dish as mashed potatoes, polenta or with Italian style Cauliflower Gratin.
Like all traditional recipes, there are many versions of chicken cacciatore. In fact, every region in Italy has its own version. By adding other ingredients such as olives, pancetta, mushrooms, or red bell pepper.
But Chicken, wine, browned vegetables, and aromatic herbs are always present in all the variations of this recipe.
Try this recipe, it will amaze you! The chicken so tender and the sauce so delicious that it is impossible not to clean the plate with the Scarpetta (from Wiktionary source).
So don’t forget to bring a lot of bread to the table and a bottle of good Italian red wine.
- 1 kg. Chicken Thighs or Whole Chicken cut into pieces
- 400 gr. Canned Peeled Tomatoes Blended
- 1 White Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Celery Stalk
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 100 ml. Red Wine
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Sprig Rosemary
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Sprig Fresh Parsley Chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- Peel onion and carrots and cut them into small cubes, do the same with the celery.
- With a hand blender or food processor blend the canned peeled tomatoes.
- In a skillet heat three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced vegetables, the whole clove of garlic and brown for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and sear on both sides until golden.
- Add rosemary, bay leaves.
- Occasionally stir the vegetables around the chicken to avoid them to stick in the skillet.
- Pour in the red wine and over high heat let it evaporate.
- Then add the tomato sauce, season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to your taste.
- Mix all of the ingredients together and cover with a lid.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer stirring occasionally for 40-45 minutes or until the meat is falling off the bone.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.